Americans still love their local libraries. A staggering 94% of Americans ages 16 and older said that having a public library is beneficial to the quality of life in a community, according to a 2013 study from Pew Research Center. Newbury’s rural recreation economy is an ideal place to start and grow a business, as well as an alternative to a big-city environment, and a wholesome place to raise a family. The new library will be key in helping achieve these important outcomes.
The new library can help impact the town’s economy and business sector by:
- Building technology skills
- Providing workforce development
- Encouraging entrepreneurial activity
- Offering access to career resources and opportunities
- Promoting civic engagement for reading, discussions, and collaboration
- Hosting small business meetings and social gatherings
- Utilizing the free resources from libraries–everything from checking out magazines, using technology resources, and receiving free museum passes — can save households hundreds of dollars a year.
- The return on investment for a public library varies, but research has generally shown that the money goes to good use. The median ROI for public libraries is about 4:1, meaning that the public value created by libraries was nearly four times greater than the tax money spent on them. Some libraries exceed 30:1.
Libraries improve the quality of life in a town:
- Having more books in a home will improve a young child’s educational attainment later in life; for families, libraries help to reduce the financial burden of stocking a home library.
- As of 2011, America was the only free-market country where the current young adult generation was less educated than the previous one. The promotion of library services leads to higher literacy rates.
- Our library has job and employment resources, and it is estimated that nationwide, roughly 30 million people use those kinds of resources in their career search each year.
- Programming at our library, such as classes on first aid, exercise or home gardening, can help improve people’s health.